"As Within, So Without"
ArtPrize 9 + Autumn at Parliament
Join and us Journey, Within and Without.
"As Within, So Without," is an exploration of the connectedness between the outer world of materiality, the liminal space of perception, and the inner world of the individual, as each of these spaces interact with one another in the physical and spiritual planes. Referring to the Socrates quote and the many iterations of this phrase throughout the various paths of the wisdom traditions, the artists in this show utilize their materials as a mirror in the outer world of their own interiors, manifesting works that reflect their perceptions and processing of life via installation, fiber, and wearable goods.
"As Within, So Without" will consist of the following works:
"The Air All Around"
Artists: Elyse Marie Welcher + Megan Roach
Vote #: 66565
The oneness of the matter that makes up our existence, our physical forms, our artistic materials, our bodies, our art, and our thoughts; it is the medium of air between us and other forms or ideas that creates the conduit for perception to begin at all.
Fiber, process, practice.
"Fragments of Old Bones: New Soul,"
Artist: Gloria Kirk-Hanna
Vote #: 65811
Old Bones : New Soul
Old Bones that are tired.
aching with life's pressures
bulge from the bending....
then just before breaking
a healed soul emerges.
Love far outweighs the grief. Sweetness along with new rhythms are chosen. The New Soul is lighter, wiser....complete.
Open Store Hours during ArtPrize 9:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 5-8pm
- Thursday: 2-8pm
- Friday + Saturday: 11am-8pm
- Sunday: 12-6pm
Join us for the following events, drop-in DIY craft days + workshops!
- Wednesday, 9/21: First Day of ArtPrize
- Friday, 9/22: Opening Reception + Zine Release Party for "As Within, So Without." View the works in the show, shop the new Parliament Humans Collection, meet the artists, and snag a zine with info about the show, the works, and all the upcoming goodness from Parliament!
- Saturday, 9/23: FREE DIY Drop-in Day, sponsored by the ArtPrize Venue Grand Program- leather stamping and felt bead making with the Parliament Founders!
- Sunday, 9/24: Letterpress Pop-Up shop with local maker Runaway Press. Shop her collection of new work, and watch her demo the letterpress process on a true printing press!
- Tuesday, 9/26: Sashiko Patching Workshop with Elyse Marie Welcher of Littlewings Designs. $20 per person, sign up here!
- Thursday, 9/28: Leather Stamping DIY Drop-In Day with Harbinger Leather Design, $10 per person, pay at the door and leave with a custom monogrammed keychain!
- Friday, 9/27: Felted Bead DIY Drop-In Day with Adventure Textiles, $10 per person, pay at the door and leave with a simple felted bead necklace!
- Sunday, 9/30: Learn to Spin Yarn DIY Drop-In Day with Emily Wohlscheid of Bricolage Studios, $10 per person, pay at the door and learn the basics of spinning yarn on a classic drop spindle!
- Sunday, 10/1: The Made-In-MI Home + Wearable Pop-Up at the Downtown Market, Parliament will be vending at the Downtown Market for this Sunday afternoon!
- Friday, 10/6: Closing Reception for "As Within, So Without" on First Friday October. Join us to celebrate an abundant ArtPrize 9 season, and view the live-streaming ArtPrize Awards with us on the projector at the shop!
- Saturday, 10/7: FREE DIY Drop-in Day, sponsored by the ArtPrize Venue Grand Program- leather stamping and felt bead making with the Parliament Founders!
- Sunday, 10/8: Last day of ArtPrize!